Categories
Featured Politics

MANILA BARES PLAN FOR NAVOTAS LANDFILL CLOSURE

The City of Manila is bracing for disruptions in garbage disposal as the Navotas Sanitary Landfill (NSLF) permanently closed on August 26, with Mayor Francisco “Isko” Moreno Domagoso announcing contingency plans to avert a sanitation crisis.

In an urgent Facebook Live broadcast, Domagoso confirmed receiving a letter from Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chair Romando Artes advising the city to divert its waste to the New San Mateo Sanitary Landfill (NSMSLF) in Rizal beginning August 27.

Unlike Navotas, which was only about 10 kilometers away, San Mateo is about 30 kilometers from Manila.

“Dapat lumaki o lumobo ang dami ng truck na dapat i-provide ng ating contractor ng basura.”

“Ngayon, magkakaroon na ng pagbagal. Dahil sa advanced information na nakuha ko, two weeks ago pa tayo naghahanda. Binigyan ko ng direktiba si Director Kenneth Amurao at Department of Public Services (DPS) na gumawa ng plano kung saan dapat lumaki o lumobo ang dami ng truck na dapat i-provide ng ating contractor ng basura,” the mayor explained.

He noted that while the system previously worked with garbage barged to Navotas via R-10, the much longer trips to San Mateo will inevitably delay turnaround times.

“Hindi pa natin alam ang mangyayari kapag sabay-sabay bumiyahe ang mga truck sa Commonwealth. That’s the first challenge. The second challenge, kapag nasa San Mateo na ang queing, sabay-sabay dumadating ang truck, it will take time, babagal ang balikan,” Domagoso said.

“Just imagine the 17 LGUs (in Metro Manila), and maybe from Rizal too, will now utilize one, the San Mateo landfill,” he added.

Domagoso admitted the adjustments will cost the city more but stressed the priority is public welfare.

“It will cost us money, sad to say, but let me handle that.”

“It will cost us money, sad to say, but let me handle that. Alam ko malaki problema natin sa pera. What is important now is ‘yung basura at ‘yung kapakanan ng taumbayan,” he said.

Domagoso also appealed to barangay officials, residents, and businesses to cooperate by waiting for garbage trucks before bringing out their trash.

“Baka lang magkaroon ng delay, kaya ipinakikisuyo ko na kung pupwede, wag muna ilabas ang basura hangga’t hindi dumadating ang truck,” he concluded.

Home

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *