Manila Representative Benny Abante Jr. said Vice President Sara Duterte’s impeachment trial is unlikely to disrupt congressional deliberations and approval of the proposed P7.2-trillion national budget for 2027.
Abante said he does not expect the impeachment proceedings to delay the budget timetable when questioned during a media forum about their possible impact on congressional work.
“Palagay ko hindi naman sapagkat nakita naman natin… four hours lang naman ang impeachment court. Sa umaga nagsisimula, three o’clock deliberation na ‘yan eh, so I don’t think maapektuhan,” Abante said at the Saturday News Forum in Quezon City.

The House of Representatives is preparing to begin deliberations on the 2027 National Expenditure Program (NEP) following its formal submission by the Executive branch.
Speaker Faustino “Bojie” Dy III has vowed rigorous scrutiny of the spending proposal while keeping the process open and transparent.
“Sa mga susunod na linggo, magiging masusi ang ating trabaho.”
“Sa mga susunod na linggo, magiging masusi ang ating trabaho. Magtatanong tayo. Makikinig tayo. At sisiguraduhin nating malinaw sa publiko ang bawat hakbang ng prosesong ito,” Dy said during the NEP turnover ceremony.
The budget deliberations will run alongside Duterte’s impeachment trial, which started July 6 and has so far taken up two of the four Articles of Impeachment.
The House prosecution has already rested its presentation on Article IV, involving Duterte’s alleged threats against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos and then-Speaker Martin Romualdez.
The trial is now focused on Article I, which accuses Duterte of misusing P612.5 million in confidential funds of the Office of the Vice President (OVP) and Department of Education (DepEd).
Former Land Bank of the Philippines branch managers have testified on the encashment of four P125-million checks, totaling P500 million, by former OVP Special Disbursing Officer (SDO) Gina Acosta and three P37.5-million checks, totaling P112.5 million, by former DepEd SDO Edward Fajarda.
Commission on Audit witnesses Roderick Wamil and Xylene Mae del Campo have since testified on the liquidation of the funds and deficiencies they found in documents submitted to account for the spending.
The Senate impeachment court has renewed subpoenas for Acosta and Fajarda, who are expected to testify following Del Campo’s testimony.
The prosecution has yet to present Article II, involving Duterte’s statements of assets, liabilities and net worth, bank transactions and alleged unexplained wealth, and Article III, involving alleged cash distributions to DepEd officials and personnel.
“I hope that the proceedings will be completed before December.”
Abante said he wants the trial to proceed to Duterte’s SALN, bank and Anti-Money Laundering Council records after the confidential fund presentation and expressed hope that the proceedings would be completed before December.


