President Rodrigo Duterte will be submitting the proposed 2020 national budget in the first or second week of August, said Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles.
“The proposed budget is still being finalized.”
In an interview over PTV-4, Nograles said the proposed budget is still being finalized.
Last year, Duterte submitted the proposed P3.7 trillion national budget for 2019 to Congress on the same day he delivered his third State of the Nation Address (SONA).
In his 4th SONA, Duterte did not mention the national budget but urged members of the 18th Congress to pass pieces of priority legislation concerning major tax reforms, salary increases, national land use policy, new departments and the restoration of death penalty for drugs and plunder, among others.
Duterte urged member of Congress to pass priority legislation concerning salary increases.
Despite having transmitted the 2019 budget early, the government operated on a reenacted budget since January 1 this year after lawmakers failed to pass the bill on time.
Its passage was stalled due to allegations of last-minute amendments made by the House of Representatives after both the House and Senate ratified the bicameral conference committee report.
After ending the budget impasse, Congress transmitted the proposed budget spending to Duterte on March 26, 2019.
Duterte finally signed the 2019 budget on April 15, 2018 but vetoed several provisions.