Categories
Politics

TANDAG CITY BANS FIREWORKS ON CHINESE NEW YEAR

The use and display of fireworks during the celebration of the Chinese New Year from Feb. 11 to 12 this year will be prohibited in Tandag City, Surigao del Sur.

In her executive order issued earlier this week, Mayor Roxanne Pimentel acknowledged that fireworks displays have been part of Chinese community traditions during the annual celebration.

“The practice should be put on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

However, Pimentel said the practice should be put on hold due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.

“Hosting a fireworks display in this time of pandemic will surely invite a congregation of people who intend to view the same,” the lady mayor said.

The order also instructed the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the barangay officials to enforce the fireworks ban.

As of Feb. 6, Tandag City recorded a total of 237 COVID-19 cases with 210 recoveries, 19 remaining active cases, and eight deaths. 

Share this article:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.